University Public Safety is on the job 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to ensure a safe environment and prevent crime at Rutgers University–New Brunswick. Campus safety is of paramount importance and security depends on everyone knowing what to do in case of an emergency.
At the request of the White House Task Force to Protect Students, Rutgers' Center on Violence Against Women and Children conducted a pilot survey assessing the climate of colleges and university campuses in regard to sexual violence.
In September, the center delivered the survey report to the White House and made the findings available online.
For an Emergency (Police, Fire, Medical)
9-1-1 If possible, call rather than text during an emergency situation: “Call when you can…Text when you can’t.”
Emergency Numbers from a University Phone
Obtain an outside line, then dial 9-1-1
For a Nonemergency
Call 732-932-7211 or 2-7211 from any campus phone
Text RUNB to 69050
55 Commercial Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Public Safety Services
Crime Prevention and Response
Rutgers police, security, and community service officers patrol by car, foot, bicycle, and horseback and more than 3,000 strategically located cameras monitor and record campus activity.
Emergency Services personnel provide emergency response, emergency medical services, public safety education, and fire response and prevention.
The Office of Emergency Management provides information about communications and basic safety procedures to use in the event of an emergency that threatens public safety.
Community Service Officers and Emergency Service Officers
Full-time Rutgers students have opportunities to work with the Rutgers Police Department as community service officers or with Rutgers University Emergency Services as emergency service officers. Many of these students go on to careers in law enforcement, emergency management, and public service.
Designated police officers on each campus provide students a familiar and trusted point of contact.
- Busch Campus: 732-445-6281
- College Avenue Campus: 732-932-1032
- Douglass Campus: 732-932-6789
- G. H. Cook Campus: 732-932-6789
- Livingston Campus: 732-932-1368
Full-time security officers provide after-hours escorts for students, faculty, and staff; patrol the university campuses; perform campus lighting and building security inspections; and enforce parking regulations on campus.
Shuttle services and on-campus walking buddies provide extra security as students, faculty, and staff get to their destinations.
- Walking Buddy: 732-932-7211 or use a campus emergency phone
- Knight Mover Shuttle: 732-932-RIDE (7433)
Alerts and Notifications
The Office of Emergency Management works with neighboring police departments, local governments, the State of New Jersey, and the National Guard to better prepare the university for emergencies and disasters.
Campus Safety Tips
You can help keep our campuses safe.
- Stay alert and attuned to people and circumstances around you.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and other drugs. Persons under the influence are much more likely to be the victims of a serious crime.
- Immediately notify the Rutgers University Police Department of any person or activity that arouses your suspicion.
- Know your route before you go somewhere by checking the online campus map.
- Avoid isolation. After dark, walk with others. Use well-lighted paths. Study with friends.
- Use university transportation and walking chaperone services. Do not hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers.
- Do not prop open any building doors.
- Keep the door to your dorm locked. Make sure first-floor windows, fire escape windows, and security screens are locked.
- Do not allow strangers into residence buildings.
- Do not leave property unattended or unprotected.