As New Jersey’s premier public academic research powerhouse, Rutgers creates knowledge, fuels economic progress, and improves lives in our state and beyond.
Research at Rutgers
Whether it’s a question for our times—health care access, the quality of preschool education, cancer prevention, viable clean energy—or a question for the ages—the origins of the universe, the biochemistry of love, the lives of early humans—researchers at Rutgers University–New Brunswick are pursuing answers and pushing boundaries.
Their findings make waves within the academic community and have influence in communities down the block and around the world. The pursuits of top faculty and their teams define us as a research university and elevate us to the realm of the explorers, the trailblazers, the discoverers, the game changers.
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchThe World's DNA Library
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchOff-Campus Research Facilities and Field Stations
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchThe Vanguard of Women's Studies
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchMathematical Insights
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchTurfgrass Development
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchMeasuring the Ocean
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchGuardian of the Roads
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchGenetic Defects in Cancer Cells
- A Small Sampling of Our Distinctive ResearchGarden State Research
Calling All Hypothesizers
Are you an undergraduate? A graduate student? A faculty member? A staff member? A business owner? A public official? Someone with a great research question? Our stellar faculty will partner with you, as together you seek answers and move humanity forward. Thinkers thrive here.
It’s different at a research university. You don’t just learn about theories and discoveries in the classroom. Undergraduates will find plenty of opportunities at Rutgers to work shoulder-to-shoulder with groundbreaking faculty as they postulate new theories and make discoveries.
As a public research university, Rutgers places graduate student research at the very core of our mission. The breadth and quality of our research and faculty draw graduate and professional students to Rutgers from around the globe.
We welcome industry decision-makers to explore
- our cutting-edge research,
- opportunities for licensing,
- top-notch training,
- deep pool of well-educated talent, and
- myriad resources offered by a leading center of learning.
Find out how we can meet your needs via our Business Portal.
Rutgers is a research wellspring for business and industry. Bring us your ideas and see how we can help develop them or find out about technologies we’ve developed that you can take to market.
Rutgers contains the state’s most extensive network of laboratories, research facilities, and health service centers and is one of only 62 universities in the Association of American Universities, a group comprising North America’s leading research universities.
Just how big is our reach?
- 36 of our faculty are members of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine, America’s top experts on critical national issues.
- $682 million in research and development expenditures were logged at Rutgers University in fiscal year 2017.
- 175-plus centers and institutes at Rutgers University–New Brunswick target a range of issues.